English Curriculum Intent
At Pye Green Academy, we believe that our English curriculum prepares all pupils to lead an enriched, fulfilling life by teaching the skills they need to communicate effectively and confidently with others, using the spoken and written word. We ensure our learning opportunities enable pupils to develop a love of reading, writing and verbal communication. The teaching and learning of English is a high priority for our school and developing skills in English enables pupils to successfully access all areas of the curriculum.
Throughout school, we follow the National Curriculum and have tailored our school curriculum to meet the needs of all our learners. Regardless of their background, individual needs or ability, we ensure our pupils are inspired and supported with their learning.
- We encourage pupils to read for pleasure, having access to a wide range of text types, genres and authors in order for them to make informed opinions about their preferences
- We ensure all pupils can read and develop their comprehension skills
- We expose our children to a wide range of vocabulary so that they are able to decipher new words and use them when speaking both formally and informally
- We develop a love of language where pupils are curious about the vocabulary they meet
- We support pupils to write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- We ensure pupils are able to write with grammatical accuracy, by applying spelling patterns, grammar skills and using a legible handwriting style
- We believe that English skills are crucial to a high quality education and enabling pupils to access the wider curriculum
Recommended Reading Lists
Use the links below to view recommended reading books for your child's year group.
|Nursery||Reception||Year 1||Year 2|
|Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6|