What is Sports Premium?
The government has provided additional funding per annum to improve provision of Physical education and sport in Primary schools. This funding, provided jointly by the Department of Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport has been allocated to headteachers.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport on schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will also have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and Sport
- Providing places for pupils in after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- Pooling the additional funding of that with other schools
Click the link below to view the documents.